Friday, January 3, 2014

Reuse ~ Upcycle ~ Repurpose!

"Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or for better environmental value."~Wikipedia

I love the ever-flowing inspiration in my life. I have discovered a passion that is challenging, fun and interesting. Upcycling has become my creative outlet for the last few months. Here are just a few of my upcycled creations! I hope it inspires you to reuse and repurpose some items in your life!

I upcycled an old typewriter and am using it as a computer monitor stand. On the wall is an old door that I turned into a gorgeous piece of art. I glued various fabrics to the back of it. 

This old door was in our cellar. I turned it into a coffee table by using old apple crates as the base. They also make abundant storage!

Here is a very old toys box that has been in my husbands family for generations. It is now being used as a display cabinet for the pottery that I made. 

This was a fun project! I used regular embers glue, mixed it with water and dipped strips of fabric into the glue and then put the fabric on the inside of the jars. I used hemp twine to accent them.

Oh, I love this! I found it at an antique shop with Devin. This is an old leather shoe drying rack from a shoe factory in Massachusetts. The owner of the shop told me that it was from the late 1800's. It is now a plant shelf in my kitchen where I grow fresh greens and baby lettuces.
Here I painted and distresses old shutters! I added a mirror that I wood burned "Be Love Now." I also have Joe and my name with a special saying that only we know the meaning to.

Having new passions is part of our evolving and growing selves. I have a new eye of creativity from nurturing this interest and I look at things and wonder what I can turn them into. Upcycling is not only fun, but it is good for the environment and it is virtually free! 



~Peace & Love, Dayna

1 comment:

Les Shell said...

LOVE that shoe drying rack! I've seen one on 1st Dibs and in some antique stores, but I don't know what a good price is. How much did you spend on yours? Love your blog!